The travel restrictions to Hungary during the pandemic are summarized by Government Decree No 408/2020. According to the current rules, you can enter Hungary by road, rail and waterway from Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Romania, Ukraine and Slovakia without any epidemiological restrictions, regardless of your nationality and coronavirus immunity, but you must fulfill other general conditions for entry (e.g. a valid travel document, valid visa, etc.). The following restrictions apply when entering by air.
Vaccination certificate issued in Jordan and PCR tests conducted in Jordan before travelling to Hungary will not be accepted by the Hungarian authorities and will not exclude the person (regardless of nationality) from the general entry regulations.
Detailed information on entry regulations to Hungary: http://www.police.hu/en/content/information-on-general-rules-of-border-crossing
Transit at Liszt Ferenc International Airport
Foreign citizens arriving from abroad in passenger traffic to transit can enter Hungary if they undergo a medical check upon entry and such a check does not reveal the suspicion of infection.
Further conditions to fulfil by foreign citizens wishing to transit:
- to meet entry criteria specified by the Schengen Borders Code,
- to provide satisfactory proof of the objective and destination of their travel,
- to confirm that their entry to the destination country and/or neighbouring country of Hungary situated in their route is ensured.
Howerver, airlines may have stricter regulations than the entry regulations of Hungary. We kindly ask you to contact the airlines directly in connection with their specific requirements.
Border crossing regulations for non-Hungarian citizens
At the moment, foreign citizens arriving from abroad in passenger traffic – unless otherwise specified by law or government decree – shall not enter Hungary.
The competent local police body located at the place of the planned entry into the territory of Hungary – in case of crossing the border at Budapest Liszt Ferenc International Airport the BRFK XVIII District Police Headquarters – may grant an exemption upon request.
Upon receiving the entry permission, the same rules apply as for Hungarian citizens (medical examination, 10-day quarantine, etc.)
Border crossing regulations for Hungarian citizens
Hungarian citizens arriving in passenger traffic from Jordan may undergo – unless otherwise specified by law or government decree – medical examination upon arrival.
Persons entitled to the same rights as Hungarian citizens are:
- family members of a Hungarian citizen;
- persons entitled to permanent residence in Hungary and their family members (such a right must be certified by a document);
- persons holding a valid residence permit (“D” type visa is equivalent);
- competitors or sports professionals of a Hungarian sports organization in accordance with the Sports Act, if he/she enters the territory of Hungary after participating in an international sports event held abroad;
- persons participating in an international sports event held abroad and holding a nominative invitation letter issued by a Hungarian sports organization or delegated persons, if he/she enters the territory of Hungary after participating in an international sports event held abroad;
- an employee of a Hungarian cultural institution, if she/he enters the territory of Hungary after participating in a cultural event abroad as an artist/performer or the member of the technical staff.
Depending on the outcome of the examination, the person is either required to be quarantined for 10 days by the epidemiological authority, or is not allowed to enter Hungary.
Persons in mandatory quarantine can request carrying out tests (SARS-CoV-2 test), and may leave the quarantine with the permission of the epidemiological authority, if the results of two tests (conducted within 5 days on two occasions with an interval of at least 48 hours) confirm that coronavirus was not detectable in the person’s body at the time of the examinations.